Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled industrial Absinthe in early 19th century in Pontarlier, France, employed a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and nutmeg. Wine is the traditional base for Absinthe however some distillers use other types of alcohol.
If you look for Absinthe recipes online, you will see that most of them involve steeping blends of herbs in liquor like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
How can you Create Absinthe in your own home?
Although some recipes on the internet are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor with no license is illegal in lots of countries and you also require the right equipment and you have to know what you are doing. So, are there more methods for making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This usually involves steeping herbs for instance wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for a while or perhaps a few weeks in the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Just distillation can provide a genuine Absinthe, this will just give you an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Employing an Absinthe Kit – Almost all of the kits available on the internet, like the ones from Green Devil, are just steeping kits. They are easier than finding and preparing your own personal herbs but you’re simply steeping the herbs in vodka again and coming up with a flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a less difficult and much better way to make Absinthe from home. AbsintheKit.com produce essences for the Absinthe industry as well as the essences are produced by distilling traditional Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is done for you and all you need to do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you’ve got a genuine Absinthe drink.
The essences are available in four various varieties:-
– Classic Green Essence to produce a classic “verte” Absinthe which has a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to create a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This too includes a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to produce Absinthe which has a twist. This essence is likely to make a yellow-orange coloured Absinthe which has a natural orange flavor and also a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence can make an Absinthe which has a higher thujone content (55mg) and a more bitter wormwood flavour.
You can get a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to create one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or purchase a kit for $29 to make 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit also includes a handy plastic gauge and 14 imaginative bottle labels. All that you should supply is the neutral alcohol base. Just remember that the alcohol content of your Absinthe will depend on your alcohol base. Be cautious, drink Absinthe moderately because it’s a substantially stronger beverage than other spirits as well as fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or perhaps a neutral alcohol which does not have a substantial taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.