Many people have no idea how to pour Absinthe effectively and no, it’s not as simple as taking out the lid, pouring it into a glass and drinking it! Absinthe needs to be served diluted with iced water and sweetened just a bit with sugar www.makingcarbonatedwater.com. This technique is known as “The Ritual” or “La Louche” and is the way Absinthe was prepared in its heyday in the 19th century and early twentieth century.
The Ritual isn’t so much a recipe as a technique to follow. Here I will discuss instructions on how to pour the ideal Green Fairy every time:-
– Absinthe – Make use of a quality Absinthe which contains wormwood. There are many fake Absinthes around with no thujone and therefore no wormwood.
– An Absinthe glass – This will make measuring the Absinthe really easy since you fill the bulge at the bottom or go up to the mark, depending on what style glass you’ve got.
– A slotted Absinthe spoon (cuillere)
– Iced water
– A cube of white sugar
In making your Absinthe drink you need to pour a shot of Absinthe in the glass and rest the spoon on the rim of the glass. cube of sugar on the spoon and slowly drip the water on the sugar to make it dissolve in the Absinthe. Top up the Absinthe to taste, usually a ratio of between 3:1 and 5:1 water to Absinthe.
If you are using a reliable hand and drip the water bit by bit, you will be able to look at the Absinthe louche the way it turns from a transparent bright green to an opalescent, pale, milky green. This is certainly fascinating to look at.
Some Absinthe drinkers buy a special Absinthe fountain which you fill with water and ice cubes and after that turn a tap to manage the dripping of the water into the Absinthe – great in case you are heavy handed. A fountain also permits you to make two drinks simultaneously because quite a few fountains have two taps.
Replicas of antique Absinthe spoons and glasses may be ordered online from AbsintheKit.com. The business also sell Absinthe essences on their own webshop. You blend an essence with vodka or everclear to create your personal genuine wormwood Absinthe.
The Czech or Bohemian method differs a little bit from the Ritual and isn’t a standard technique for preparing Absinthe. To make Absinthe by doing this you have to:-
– Pour a shot of Absinthe into a glass then dip the cube of sugar in the alcohol.
– Place the cube of sugar on top of the Absinthe spoon.
– By using a match or lighter, set the sugar alight.
– Observe the sugar caramelize and melt through the slots of the spoon and to the Absinthe.
– Thoroughly pour iced water to the Absinthe to dilute.
– Stir and savor.
Absinthe can certainly be combined with other alcohol in cocktails. Go online for Absinthe cocktail recipes useful reference. Ernest Hemingway drank “Death in the Afternoon” – Absinthe mixed with champagne!
There you are, how to pour Absinthe making use of the Ritual and the more sophisticated Bohemian method. Take them into consideration and enjoy with Absinthe.