Many individuals don’t know how to pour Absinthe properly and no, it isn’t really quite as simple as removing the lid, pouring it to a glass and drinking it! Absinthe must be served watered down with iced water and sweetened a little bit with sugar absinthe glass. This technique is known as “The Ritual” or “La Louche” and is precisely how Absinthe was geared up in its heyday in the nineteenth century and early twentieth century.
The Ritual isn’t a great deal of a recipe as a solution to follow. Allow me to share instructions on how to pour the right Green Fairy every time:-
You will need:-
– Absinthe – Use a quality Absinthe which contains wormwood. There are several fake Absinthes around without any thujone and so no wormwood.
– An Absinthe glass – This will make measuring the Absinthe really easy as you fill the bulge towards the bottom or rise to the mark, according to what style glass you’ve got.
– A slotted Absinthe spoon (cuillere)
– Iced water
– A cube of white sugar
To create your Absinthe drink you have to pour a shot of Absinthe into the glass and rest the spoon on the rim of the glass.Position the cube of sugar over the spoon and slowly drip water over the sugar making it dissolve in the Absinthe. Top up the Absinthe to taste, usually a ratio which can be between 3:1 and 5:1 water to Absinthe.
If you use a steady hand and drip the water carefully, it is possible to view the Absinthe louche while it turns from a transparent bright green to an opalescent, pale, milky green. This really is fascinating to observe.
Some Absinthe drinkers buy a special Absinthe fountain that you just fill with water and ice cubes and after that turn a tap to control the dripping of the water to the Absinthe – great if you are heavy handed. A fountain also enables you to make two drinks concurrently because quite a few fountains have two taps.
Reproductions of antique Absinthe spoons and glasses can be ordered online from AbsintheKit.com. The company also sell Absinthe essences on their own webshop. You combine an essence with vodka or everclear to make your own genuine wormwood Absinthe.
The Czech or Bohemian technique differs slightly from the Ritual and isn’t a conventional method of preparing Absinthe. To make Absinthe this way you need to:-
– Pour a shot of Absinthe into a glass after which dip the cube of sugar in the alcohol.
– Place the cube of sugar on the Absinthe spoon.
– Using a match or lighter, set the sugar alight.
– Watch the sugar caramelize and melt through the slots of the spoon and into the Absinthe.
– Carefully pour iced water into the Absinthe to dilute.
– Stir and savor.
Absinthe may also be mixed with other alcohol in cocktails. Search the web for Absinthe cocktail recipes go here. Ernest Hemingway drank “Death in the Afternoon” – Absinthe mixed with champagne!
There you are, how to pour Absinthe while using the Ritual and the more contemporary Bohemian method. Take them into consideration and have fun with Absinthe.