How to drink Absinthe properly is the issue a lot of people have if they have managed to acquire a bottle of the Green Fairy. In La Belle Epoque in France everybody knew how to serve and drink Absinthe, it was part of the culture and was even more famous as compared to wine.
The ability of how to drink Absinthe was lost until recent times because of the ban on Absinthe in most countries for several decades. In the United States it was prohibited in 1912 and Absinthes such as the “Lucid” brand have only just gone available for sale in the US absinthe kits in 2007.
How To Drink Absinthe Using The Standard “Ritual”
This is the authentic approach to preparing Absinthe employed in pre ban times in the nineteenth century in France and Switzerland. It comes with an art to working with this process and it lies in using a steady hand.
– Pour a shot of Absinthe directly into an Absinthe glass or big glass.
– Rest a slotted Absinthe spoon on the top of the glass and place a cube of sugar on the spoon.
– Slowly drip iced water on the sugar in order that the sugar dissolves and drips throughout the slots into the Absinthe. Either work with an Absinthe fountain or dripper to manage the dripping or use a very steady hand to pour the water from a carafe.
– Observe the Absinthe louche (turn cloudy) as the water mixes to the alcohol.
– Appreciate your Absinthe.
How To Drink Absinthe While using Contemporary Bohemian or Czech Approach
This is a more modern method which is a little bit of fun and is scorned by many Absinthe drinkers. It is often combined with cheaper Czech Absinthes and Absinthes which have a lower alcohol content. Care has to be taken when setting alcohol alight.
– Pour a shot of Absinthe into an Absinthe glass.
– Soak the sugar cube inside the Absinthe after which put on an Absinthe spoon sitting on the rim of the glass.
– Using a lighter or match, set the sugar on fire and view it as it caramelizes , melts and drips in to the Absinthe, it may set the Absinthe on fire too.
– Carefully pour iced water to the Absinthe to put out the flames also to make the Absinthe louche.
– Consume your Absinthe.
Ratios of water to Absinthe rely on taste but a ratio which can be between 3:1 and 5:1 water to Absinthe is the recommended dilution.
How To Drink Absinthe in Cocktails
Ernest Hemingway famously produced “Death in the Afternoon” – a cocktail of Absinthe and champagne, but there are lots of other cocktail recipes for Absinthe. You do ought to take into account that Absinthe is certainly a strong Alcoholic drink and is somewhere around twice the potency of other spirits such as vodka and whisky.
Absinthe and Vodka – Combine 3 parts Absinthe with one part high quality vodka in an iced glass (out of the freezer) and garnish using a sprig of mint.
Absinthe Explosion – Mix 3 parts Tequila, 4 parts vodka, 3 parts whisky and 7 parts Absinthe. Add ice and stir.
Absinthe Bloody Mary – Put 1 shot of Absinthe into a cocktail glass with ice and top-up with tomato juice. Include a dash of Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce and season with pepper and salt.
There are lots of alternative methods of how to drink Absinthe and you could even invent your personal cocktails.